Christian News from Scotland

News stories from Scotland and beyond

Friday, November 02, 2007

Government think tank misunderstands what it is to be British

According to Sayeeda Warsi, the Conservative spokesman on community cohesion, a UK Government think tank report which proposes to downgrade Christmas displays "a breathtaking misunderstanding of what it is to be British."

Quoted in a report in the Daily Mail of 1st November 2007, she added:

"You don't build community cohesion by throwing out our history and denying the fundamental contribution Christianity has played and does play to our nation.

"As a British Muslim I can see that - so why others can't just staggers me."
And she attacked ceremonies to mark the registration of a baby.

"The thought of Gordon Brown sharing responsibility with me for bringing up my children sends a shiver down my spine. I thought we got rid of communism?"