Christian News from Scotland

News stories from Scotland and beyond

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Sad that offer to pray is treated so harshly

Extracts from HeraldTalk Wednesday 4th February 2009


From Rev C Brian Ross, Motherwell

I am increasingly concerned at the way in which some Christians in the UK are being treated, purely because of their Christian faith. The most recent situation concerns Caroline Petrie, a married mother of two, who has been suspended, without pay, from her job as a community nurse, simply for offering to pray with an elderly patient ("Suspension for nurse who offers to pray for her patients", The Herald, February 2).

It is a sad state of affairs when the offer to pray for someone is treated in such a harsh way. I am old enough to remember when the UK was, at least nominally, a Christian country.

I can only agree, and express the hope that common sense will prevail, and that Mrs Petrie will be fully re-instated. Don't tell the North Somerset Primary Care Trust, which has taken this ridiculous attitude, but I'll be praying for Caroline.


From Dr Euan Dodds, St George's-Tron Church, Glasgow

I worked as a doctor for four years and the only patients I ever received thank-you cards from were those with whom I had prayed.

How terrible it would be if professionals were reduced to treating the disease and not the person.